Your Source for Amarillo Management of Ocular Diseases
Ocular diseases can range from irritating daily annoyances to permanent eye damage and blindness. If you want your eyes -- and those of your loved ones -- to provide optimal vision for a lifetime, you need to know that your eye doctor in Amarillo TX can provide the necessary treatment to help you manage any ocular diseases that may appear in the course of an examination. The skilled optometrists at Balfour Optical are proud to serve as your trusted source for Amarillo management of ocular diseases.
Diseases Treated by our Optometrist in Amarillo
Ocular diseases may afflict a variety of different parts of the eye, from the transparent cornea and lens to the retina and optic nerve. Some of these diseases are infamous for causing progressive, irreversible damage to the eye for years before the first signs of vision loss become evident. A regular Amarillo eye exam can help us detect these issues so we can treat them before they wreak too much havoc. Diseases commonly treated by your optometrist in Amarillo include:
- Macular Degeneration - Macular degeneration is an age-related retinal disease that can cause you to lose your central field of vision. We can often control early-stage or "dry" macular degeneration by recommending specific lifestyle and dietary changes. Advanced or "wet" macular degeneration (so named because of abnormal blood vessels (that form and cause bleeding) may respond to nutritional supplementation and injectable medications to arrest the formation of new blood vessels.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Elevated blood sugar can cause retinal blood vessels to weaken and break, producing retinal bleeding, macular swelling, vision loss and (like macular degeneration) abnormal growth of new, leaky blood vessels. We can identify this problem so you can work to get your diabetes under better control. Injectable medications can help stop the proliferation of abnormal blood vessels.
- Cataracts - Cataracts are a natural by-product of aging, although they can be caused by diabetes, steroid use or UV exposure as well. We can watch the development of this clouding of the lens closely and adjust your corrective lens prescription to compensate for vision changes. If you need cataract surgery, we can provide co-management before and after the procedure.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is damage to the optic nerve, generally caused by excess fluid pressure within the eye due to faults in the eye's natural drainage system. We can prescribe drugs to reduce the amount of fluid your eyes produce and/or help the drainage system do its job better.
- Dry Eye Syndrome - Dry eye syndrome can make your eyes itchy, red and irritated -- and without sufficient protective tear film, your corneas are vulnerable to damage. We can prescribe a variety of treatments to address the specific cause of your dry eyes.
Lifelong Ocular Health Starts With an Amarillo Eye Exam
The first critical step in treating eye diseases is detecting them. Protect your ocular health today by calling 806-355-4407 to schedule an Amarillo eye exam at Balfour Optical. Your eye doctor in Amarillo TX can help you save your eyesight!