Astigmatism: Causes and Correction Options
Are you experiencing blurry vision, eyestrain, or headaches? It may be possible that you have astigmatism. Astigmatism is a common vision problem that affects many individuals. If you are located in Amarillo, Texas, and are looking for an eye doctor near you, Balfour Optical is here to help. Our team of dedicated optometrists in Amarillo is committed to providing excellent value to our patients, ensuring that you receive the best eye care possible.
What is Astigmatism?
Astigmatism is a refractive error caused by an irregularly shaped cornea or lens, leading to blurred or distorted vision. Unlike normal corneas or lenses with a smooth curvature, those affected by astigmatism have a more oblong or football-like shape. This irregular shape prevents light from focusing correctly on the retina, resulting in blurred or distorted images.
Causes of Astigmatism
Astigmatism can be present from birth or develop later in life. The exact cause of astigmatism is still unknown, but various factors can contribute to its development. Some possible causes include:
1. Genetics: Astigmatism can be inherited, so if your parents have astigmatism, you may be more likely to develop it as well.
2. Eye injuries or surgeries: Trauma to the eye or certain surgical procedures can alter the shape of your cornea, leading to astigmatism.
3. Keratoconus: This condition causes the cornea to become thinner and more cone-shaped, resulting in astigmatism.
4. Focusing problems: Chronic eye strain or squinting can cause astigmatism over time.
Symptoms of Astigmatism
Astigmatism can cause a variety of symptoms, including:
1. Blurred or distorted vision: Objects may appear blurry or stretched out.
2. Eyestrain: You may experience discomfort or fatigue in your eyes, especially after prolonged periods of focused visual activity.
3. Headaches: Astigmatism can cause headaches due to the strain your eyes experience in trying to compensate for the visual imbalance.
4. Difficulty seeing at night: Poor night vision and difficulty driving at night may be indications of astigmatism.
Correction Options for Astigmatism
Fortunately, astigmatism can typically be corrected with various treatment options. At Balfour Optical, our experienced optometrists in Amarillo will determine the best solution for your specific needs. Here are some common methods for correcting astigmatism:
1. Prescription Eyeglasses: Eyeglasses provide a simple and effective way to correct astigmatism. By prescribing lenses with different strengths along different axes, the distorted light can be refracted correctly onto the retina, improving your vision.
2. Contact Lenses: Depending on the severity of your astigmatism, contact lenses may be a suitable option. Toric contact lenses are designed specifically to align with the irregular shape of your cornea, providing clear vision.
3. Orthokeratology: Also known as Ortho-K, this non-surgical procedure involves wearing special gas-permeable contact lenses overnight to reshape the cornea temporarily. This technique allows you to enjoy clear vision during the day without the need for glasses or contacts.
4. Refractive Surgery: While Balfour Optical does not perform surgery, we can advise and refer you to reputable eye surgeons in Amarillo for procedures such as LASIK or other laser refractive surgeries. These surgical options can permanently correct your astigmatism, reducing or even eliminating your reliance on glasses or contacts.
Regular Eye Exams and Early Diagnosis
Early detection and diagnosis of astigmatism are essential for effective treatment. Therefore, it is crucial to schedule regular eye exams with an eye doctor in Amarillo, such as Balfour Optical. Our knowledgeable staff will conduct comprehensive eye exams, including a refraction test, to determine if you have astigmatism or any other vision problems.
During the eye exam, our optometrists will assess your vision and prescribe the appropriate corrective measures. Whether it is eyeglasses, contact lenses, or an alternative treatment plan, our goal is to provide you with the best possible eye care.
If you are experiencing blurry vision, eyestrain, or headaches, it’s time to visit an eye doctor near you. Balfour Optical in Amarillo, Texas, is your trusted source for comprehensive eye exams and personalized treatment plans. Our team of experienced optometrists will diagnose and correct your astigmatism using the most appropriate method for your unique needs.
Don’t let vision problems hold you back. Book an appointment with Balfour Optical today and take the first step towards clearer, sharper vision. Remember, early diagnosis and treatment can make a significant difference in your quality of life. Trust the experts at Balfour Optical to provide exceptional value and the highest standard of eye care in Amarillo, Texas.